Five minor planets named after Chinese scientists
Beijing: Five minor planets have been named after top Chinese scientists with the approval of the International Astronomical Union (IAU).
The five minor planets were discovered between 1997 and 2000 by the Beijing Schmidt CCD Asteroid Program at the Xinglong observation station in northern China.
"It`s a high level recognition as well as a huge encouragement for us to receive this great honour. Only by devoting ourselves to the frontiers of science can we live up to the planets above," said Sun Jiadong, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and a pioneer in artificial satellite and deep space exploration technology.
Minor Planet No. 148081 was named after Sun, Xinhua reported citing a communique from the Minor Planet Center (MPC) under the IAU.
Minor Planet No. 175718 was named after Wu Zhengyi, a botanist and academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). Wu has made great achievements in plant taxonomy, floristics and the study on plant resources in China.
Minor Planet No. 18593 was named after CAS academician Wang Zhongcheng, an expert in micro-neurosurgery technology. Wang has developed new methods for treating tumours in the brain stem and spinal cord.
Minor Planet No. 28468 was named after Shi Changxu, a leading scientist researching and developing new materials such as super alloy and alloy steel.
Lastly, Minor Planet No. 43259 was named after Wang Zhenyi, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He developed creative clinical treatments for leukemia, especially the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia by all-trans retinoic acid.
All five scientists had previously won the State Top Scientific and Technological Award, China`s top science prize, for their outstanding contribution to scientific and technological innovation.
According to international conventions, discoverers of minor planets who receive confirmation from the MPC have the right to name the new planets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends