Five minor planets named after Chinese scientists
Beijing: Five minor planets have been named after top Chinese scientists with the approval of the International Astronomical Union (IAU).
The five minor planets were discovered between 1997 and 2000 by the Beijing Schmidt CCD Asteroid Program at the Xinglong observation station in northern China.
"It`s a high level recognition as well as a huge encouragement for us to receive this great honour. Only by devoting ourselves to the frontiers of science can we live up to the planets above," said Sun Jiadong, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and a pioneer in artificial satellite and deep space exploration technology.
Minor Planet No. 148081 was named after Sun, Xinhua reported citing a communique from the Minor Planet Center (MPC) under the IAU.
Minor Planet No. 175718 was named after Wu Zhengyi, a botanist and academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). Wu has made great achievements in plant taxonomy, floristics and the study on plant resources in China.
Minor Planet No. 18593 was named after CAS academician Wang Zhongcheng, an expert in micro-neurosurgery technology. Wang has developed new methods for treating tumours in the brain stem and spinal cord.
Minor Planet No. 28468 was named after Shi Changxu, a leading scientist researching and developing new materials such as super alloy and alloy steel.
Lastly, Minor Planet No. 43259 was named after Wang Zhenyi, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He developed creative clinical treatments for leukemia, especially the treatment of acute promyelocytic leukemia by all-trans retinoic acid.
All five scientists had previously won the State Top Scientific and Technological Award, China`s top science prize, for their outstanding contribution to scientific and technological innovation.
According to international conventions, discoverers of minor planets who receive confirmation from the MPC have the right to name the new planets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan