Flooded helmet felt like fishbowl: Astronaut Luca Parmitano
Cape Canaveral: Now he knows what it`s like to be a goldfish in a fishbowl.
Two days after his helmet flooded during a spacewalk, astronaut Luca Parmitano relived the experience today, describing how water kept trickling into his helmet until big globs covered his eyes, then his nose. It was hard to see, he said, and he could not hear.
"For a couple of minutes there, maybe more than a couple of minutes, I experienced what it`s like to be a goldfish in a fishbowl from the point of view of the goldfish," Parmitano said in a TV interview from the International Space Station.
Parmitano said he used his memory to make his way back into the space station. His spacewalking partner, Christopher Cassidy, was a big help.
The 36-year-old Italian Air Force officer said he was "miserable but OK" as Tuesday`s spacewalk came to an abrupt end.
"Imagine walking around with your eyes closed in a fishbowl. Really, that`s what was going on ... It`s just a very uncomfortable feeling to be with your face underwater for all that time," he said.
Parmitano said he was lucky to get back inside so quickly.
NASA managers have said Parmitano could have choked or drowned.
The astronauts as well as engineers in Houston are still trying to figure out what went wrong.
Parmitano`s drink bag has been ruled out. The only other possibility is the cooling system for his suit.
Parmitano said his long underwear, containing water tubes, appears to be fine.
Parmitano became Italy`s first spacewalker last week. His spacesuit functioned perfectly the first time around.
Tuesday`s excursion was a continuation of the maintenance work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP