Giant black hole flung out of galaxy discovered
London: A student astronomer has claimed to
have pinpointed one of the most dramatic phenomenons of the
universe -- a "super-massive" black hole that has been flung
out of a distant galaxy at high speed.
The giant black hole, scientists believe, is more than a
billion times the mass of the sun and flying at a speed of
670,000 miles per hour through space.
The discovery was made by Marianne Heida, a student at
Utrecht University in the Netherlands, while working with
experts at the Dutch space research institute SRON as part of
a final-year project.
While cataloguing thousands of sources of X-rays in
space, she noticed a bright spot which appeared to be
radically out of place -- on the edge of a galaxy rather than
The object, more than half a billion light years away,
was so intense such that scientists believe it is likely to be
a black hole, the Telegraph reported.
Every galaxy, including our own Milky Way, is thought to
contain a super-massive black hole -- the largest type of
black holes which are formed when two smaller black holes
crash together and merge. The new black hole is then sent
shooting away at high speed.
The material that falls into black holes heats up
dramatically on its final journey and often means that black
holes are strong X-ray sources. This enables astronomers to
pick them out by looking for X-rays.
"If this is confirmed it is a hugely exciting discovery,"
said Dr Robert Massey of the Royal Astronomical Society.
"Just imagine the kind of event that could throw perhaps
a thousand million suns of matter out of a galaxy."
Her project, published in the journal Monthly Notices of
the Royal Astronomical Society, is thought to be the first
time that the phenomenon has been captured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation