Giant magnetic space whirlpools give Mercury plasma shower
London: NASA`s Messenger spacecraft have detected Kelvin-Helmholtz waves, like on the Earth, around Mercury.
KH waves occur at the boundary between two fluids, such as two different bodies of air in Earth`s atmosphere. They are most visible on Earth in the form of strange wave-like clouds.
KH waves also occur in the magnetospheres of some planets.
These were discovered as huge swirls at the edge of Mercury`s magnetosphere – where the planet`s magnetic field meets the energetic charged particles of the solar wind.
Study of Messenger`s data suggests the waves are larger than thought – two to three times the size of their terrestrial counterparts – and occur 10 to 30 times more frequently too.
Messenger also found solar plasma in Mercury`s magnetosphere linked to the KH waves, suggesting the large waves shuttle plasma towards the planet.
“KH waves are more important for mass and energy transfer than we imagined,” New Scientist quoted Torbjorn Sundberg at NASA`s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day