Giant magnetic space whirlpools give Mercury plasma shower
London: NASA`s Messenger spacecraft have detected Kelvin-Helmholtz waves, like on the Earth, around Mercury.
KH waves occur at the boundary between two fluids, such as two different bodies of air in Earth`s atmosphere. They are most visible on Earth in the form of strange wave-like clouds.
KH waves also occur in the magnetospheres of some planets.
These were discovered as huge swirls at the edge of Mercury`s magnetosphere – where the planet`s magnetic field meets the energetic charged particles of the solar wind.
Study of Messenger`s data suggests the waves are larger than thought – two to three times the size of their terrestrial counterparts – and occur 10 to 30 times more frequently too.
Messenger also found solar plasma in Mercury`s magnetosphere linked to the KH waves, suggesting the large waves shuttle plasma towards the planet.
“KH waves are more important for mass and energy transfer than we imagined,” New Scientist quoted Torbjorn Sundberg at NASA`s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark