God Particle: DAE`s Indore facility played key role in test
Bhopal: Indore-based Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), a Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) facility, has played a major role in the supply of vital parts for Large Hadron Collider of European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN).
The scientists at CERN today claimed to have spotted a sub-atomic particle "consistent" with the Higgs boson or `God particle`, believed to be a crucial building block that led to the formation of the universe.
RRCAT was the nodal agency from the DAE for the ambitious LHC project, sources associated with the project at the institute told PTI.
Besides RRCAT, Indore-based Indo-German Tool Room (IGTR) also played a major role in the development of jacks on which the 27-km long LHC is positioned, IGTR Manager, Consultant and Marketing, C S Sharma said.
Under an agreement of DAE and CERN, Centre for Advanced Technology developed a number of sub-systems for the world`s largest particle accelerator -- the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the sources said.
According to RRCAT`s website, LHC has more than 1,600 superconducting magnets along its circumference for bending and focusing the beams. These huge magnet assemblies, each weighing more than 32 tonnes with a length of 15 meters, need to be positioned with a precision of 50 micrometre all along the 27 km length.
RRCAT conceptualised, designed and developed precision- positioning devices that allow precise positioning of these huge magnets in the tunnel and maintenance of these devices, they said.
These devices, called precision magnet positioning system (PMPS) jacks, enable a person to move the huge magnet and position it with a very high setting resolution.
As many as 6,800 of these devices are being made by the Indian firm and supplied to CERN under the agreement.
More than 2,400 jacks have been shipped to CERN, after successful manufacturing and testing at IGTR, Indore and Avasarala Automation Limited, Bangalore.
Scientists at RRCAT also played a role in the measurement and analysis of Super Conducting Dipole Magnets, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe