God Particle: DAE`s Indore facility played key role in test
Bhopal: Indore-based Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), a Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) facility, has played a major role in the supply of vital parts for Large Hadron Collider of European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN).
The scientists at CERN today claimed to have spotted a sub-atomic particle "consistent" with the Higgs boson or `God particle`, believed to be a crucial building block that led to the formation of the universe.
RRCAT was the nodal agency from the DAE for the ambitious LHC project, sources associated with the project at the institute told PTI.
Besides RRCAT, Indore-based Indo-German Tool Room (IGTR) also played a major role in the development of jacks on which the 27-km long LHC is positioned, IGTR Manager, Consultant and Marketing, C S Sharma said.
Under an agreement of DAE and CERN, Centre for Advanced Technology developed a number of sub-systems for the world`s largest particle accelerator -- the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the sources said.
According to RRCAT`s website, LHC has more than 1,600 superconducting magnets along its circumference for bending and focusing the beams. These huge magnet assemblies, each weighing more than 32 tonnes with a length of 15 meters, need to be positioned with a precision of 50 micrometre all along the 27 km length.
RRCAT conceptualised, designed and developed precision- positioning devices that allow precise positioning of these huge magnets in the tunnel and maintenance of these devices, they said.
These devices, called precision magnet positioning system (PMPS) jacks, enable a person to move the huge magnet and position it with a very high setting resolution.
As many as 6,800 of these devices are being made by the Indian firm and supplied to CERN under the agreement.
More than 2,400 jacks have been shipped to CERN, after successful manufacturing and testing at IGTR, Indore and Avasarala Automation Limited, Bangalore.
Scientists at RRCAT also played a role in the measurement and analysis of Super Conducting Dipole Magnets, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon