God Particle: Scientists 99.99% sure of having discovered Higgs boson particle
Geneva: In one of the most significant scientific discoveries ever, two independent teams of scientists announced on Wednesday the discovery of a new subatomic particle that has close resemblance to the elusive Higgs boson or ‘God Particle’.
Joe Incandela, spokesperson for CMS, one of the two research teams, told scientists at the European Center for Nuclear Research (CERN) that the data from Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has reached the level of certainty needed for a discovery.
Although the new subatomic particle looks like the one that is believed to give all matter in the universe size and shape, Incandela did not confirm whether the new particle is indeed the tiny and elusive Higgs boson, popularly referred to as the ‘God Particle’.
“We have observed a new boson with a mass of 125.3 plus or minus 0.6 GeV at 4.9 sigma standard deviation. This is a preliminary result, but we think it`s very strong and very solid,” announced Joseph Incandela to a round of applause.
“When they combine the results for two decay channels they get Five Sigma for the Higgs. Combined significance of all results 5 standard deviations,” Incandela, who also teaches at the University of California Santa Barbara, said.
In simple terms: CMS discovered a new boson which behaves like the Standard Model Higgs.
Fabiola Gianotti of ATLAS, the other team at the world`s biggest atom smasher, announced that they have similar results at around 126 Gev with 5 sigma certainty.
Five Sigma is the usual particle physics threshold for discovery; it translates to 99.99997% certainty of discovery of a new particle.
The new particle, if confirmed with further research, would have a mass 130 times that of a proton, making it the most massive particle that exists.
What is Higgs boson?
The Higgs boson was hunted so determinedly because it is believed to be the manifestation of an invisible field - the Higgs field that permeates through the entire universe.
According to the theory, Higgs boson was the agent that made the stars, planets - and life - possible by giving mass to most elementary particles, the building blocks of the universe; hence the nickname "God Particle."
Considered the last ingredient of the ‘standard model’ of particle physics, the discovery of Higgs boson is expected to play a pivotal role in solving the fundamental questions about the formation of the universe.
Higgs boson gives the particles their mass. Without this mass, these particles would zip though the cosmos at the speed of light, unable to bind together to form the atoms that make up everything in the universe.
The field was posited in the 1960s by British scientist Peter Higgs, of University of Edinburgh, as the way that matter obtained mass after the universe was created in the Big Bang. Peter Higgs was personally present in Geneva when the discovery of the boson named after him was announced.
The Higgs boson was discovered by smashing beams of protons - sub-atomic particles - together at close to the speed of light, recreating the conditions as it were a fraction of a second after the Big Bang.
The protons were smashed inside the Large Hadron Collider, which is the largest and most complex machine ever made. It has a circumference of 27 km (17 miles) and lies underground, straddling French and Swiss territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks