GSAT-5P launch put off after leak in cryogenic engine
Chennai: The launch of country`s latest communication satellite GSAT-5P on Monday from the spaceport of Sriharikota, was deferred today after a minor leak in the Russian cryogenic engine on board the GSLV-F06 launch vehicle.
The leak was identified during the pre-countdown checks for the launch by the home-made Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F06) powered by Russian cryogenic engine, ISRO spokesperson S Satish said.
"Due to a minor leak in one of the valves of the cryogenic stage the launch has been postponed..", he said.
The satellite was planned to be launched from Sriharikota on December 20 at 4:01 pm and the 29 hour-countdown sequence
was scheduled to commence at 11 am today.
But due to the leak in the cryogenic engine, the Launch Authorisation Board, which met today to review the results of pre-countdown checks, did not authorise it, he said.
The revised schedule for the launch would be firmed up after ascertaining the cause for the leak, remedial actions and due verifications, he added.
The rocket, seventh mission of GSLV-FO6, has major changes incorporated as compared to the previous flights. It includes loading 15 tonnes of propellants in its third stage of flight and uprating of the third stage thrust by 26 percent, ISRO said.
GSAT-5P with 24 C-band transponders and 12 extended C-band transponders is meant for augmenting communication services currently provided by Indian National Satellite System (INSAT). It is meant to boost TV, telemedicine and tele-education, and telephone services.
While the first five flights of GSLV utilised the cryogenic stage procured from Russia, the sixth flight GSLV-D3 conducted in April this year did not succeed due to the failure of the Fuel Booster Turbo Pump (FBTP) of the indigenous cryogenic upper stage.
ISRO has launched six GSLV rockets of which GSLV-FO2 in July 2006 and GSLV-D3 sent in April this year were unsuccessful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!