GSAT-8 placed in geosynchronous orbit
Bangalore: India`s advanced communication satellite GSAT-8 has reached the geosynchronous orbit with an orbital period of 23 hours and 45 minutes, ISRO said.
The satellite`s orbit has a perigee (closest point to Earth) of 35,543 km, an apogee (farthest point to Earth) of 35,770 km and an orbital inclination of 0.04 degree with respect to the equatorial plane.
Solar arrays on both sides of the satellite have been deployed and they are tracking the sun and generating electrical power, the Bangalore-based ISRO said.
These solar arrays are designed to generate 6,240 W of electrical power. Two large dual grid Ku-band antennae have been opened and are pointing towards the Earth, it said.
On Wednesday the satellite was put into the final orbital configuration pointing towards the Earth continuously.
GSAT-8 is presently located at 47 degree East longitude and is being moved towards its final orbital position of 55 degree East, where it will be co-located with the INSAT-3E satellite.
In Orbit Testing of 24 Ku-band transponders of GSAT-8 is scheduled to begin on June 1 and the satellite is expected to be ready for service in about a month, it said.
Testing of GAGAN navigational payload would be conducted from the new Navigation Control Centre at Kundanahalli near Bangalore.
GSAT-8 was launched by Ariane 5 from Kourou in French Guiana on May 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble