Have a long weekend that just lasts for a second extra
New Delhi: A leap second will be introduced to the Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) to the world`s atomic clocks between 7.59.59 am and 8.00.00am (Hong Kong time) on July 1, 2012, as they undergo a rare adjustment to keep them in step with the slowing rotation of the earth.
In order to achieve the adjustment, the atomic clocks will read 23 hours, 59 minutes and 60 seconds before moving on to midnight Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). If no adjustments were made, the clocks would move further ahead and after many years the sun would set at midday. Leap seconds perform a similar function to the extra day in each leap year which keeps the calendar in sync with the seasons.
All global time services will stop for one second on the night of July 1 in order to compensate for the accumulated difference between astronomical time determined by Earth’s rotation, and atomic standard time, the International Earth Rotation Service says.
Notably, leap seconds have been introduced 25 times since the adoption of UTC in 1972. The last adjustment was made on January 1, 2009.
Leap seconds are announced every year on June 30th or December 31st so that the difference between astronomical solar time and UTC doesn’t exceed 0.9 seconds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you