How earth looked at various stages in its history
London: Researchers have now discovered how earth looked at various stages in its history - from the age of the dinosaurs to more recent times- and what would come into focus for alien astronomers.
Researchers from the Astrophysical Institute of the Canary Islands and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology used cloud models to piece together Earth’s appearance at several stages.
To help them they used landform models from paleogeologist Ron Blakely to give them a layout of the Earth over four different geologic time frames, the Daily Mail reported.
The researchers observed how the brightness of the planet would have varied over millions of years as the continents shifted.
Five hundred million years ago the landmasses were much closer together implying that there were much bigger areas of ocean than there are at present.
The shifting landmasses resulted in different cloud patterns and clouds reflect light the best, which would end up in differing levels of brightness when viewed from space.
According to their analysis, among other things, E.T. could most likely tell that our planet’s surface is divided between oceans and continents, and learn a little bit about the dynamics of our weather systems.
“Maybe somebody’s looking at us right now, finding out what our rotation rate is - that is, the length of our day,” said Sara Seager, associate professor of physics and the Ellen Swallow Richards Associate Professor of Planetary Sciences at MIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire