How life on Earth evolved 2.4 billion yrs ago when sun was 25% weaker
Washington: Scientists have ruled out a theory as to why Earth was warm enough to sustain the planet`s earliest life forms when the Sun`s energy was roughly three-quarters the strength it is today.
Life evolved on Earth during the Archean, between 3.8 and 2.4 billion years ago, but the weak Sun should have meant the planet was too cold for life to take hold at this time; scientists have therefore been trying to find an explanation for this conundrum, what is dubbed the `faint, young Sun paradox.`
Study author, Dr Ray Burgess, from Manchester`s School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, said that during the Archean the solar energy received at the surface of the Earth was about 20 to 25 percent lower than present.
Burgess said that if the greenhouse gas composition of the atmosphere was comparable to current levels then the Earth should have been permanently glaciated but geological evidence suggests there were no global glaciations before the end of the Archean and that liquid water was widespread.
Lead author Professor Bernard Marty, from the CRPG-CNRS University of Lorraine, said that to counter the effect of the weaker Sun, carbon dioxide concentrations in the Earth`s atmosphere would need to have been 1,000 times higher than present.
Marty asserted that however, ancient fossil soils - the best indicators of ancient carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere - suggest only modest levels during the Archean .
He said that other atmospheric greenhouse gases were also present, in particular ammonia and methane, but these gases are fragile and easily destroyed by ultraviolet solar radiation, so are unlikely to have had any effect.
But another climate-warming theory - one the team wanted to test - is that the amount of nitrogen could have been higher in the ancient atmosphere, which would amplify the greenhouse effect of carbon dioxide and allow the Earth to remain ice-free.
The new study has been published in the journal Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok