Hubble captures dusty lanes in `UFO` Galaxy
Washington: Earth-orbiting Hubble Space Telescope has spotted a spiral galaxy - seen almost edge-on - that resembles a classic alien spaceship.
The galaxy, officially known as NGC 2683, was nicknamed ‘UFO Galaxy’ by astronomers at the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium and Observatory in Cocoa, Fla, the Discovery News reported.
NASA has insisted that the side-on view gives scientists “a great opportunity to see the delicate dusty lanes of the spiral arms silhouetted against the golden haze of the galaxy’s core.”
The picture, released on Friday, also shows bright clusters of young blue stars scattered throughout the disc, revealing the galaxy’s star-forming regions.
Astronomers believe that NGC 2683 is a barred spiral galaxy, even though they cannot be seen that directly.
The image was produced from two adjacent fields observed in visible and infrared light by Hubble’s Advanced Camera for Surveys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre