Huge earth-passing asteroid identified as `entirely new beast`
Washington: Scientists have discovered that a big asteroid that flew past Earth last month belongs to a new category of space rock, thanks to new radar images captured by the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico.
Asteroid 1998 QE2 and its moon sailed within 3.6 million miles (5.8 million kilometers) of Earth on May 31, making their closest approach to our planet for at least the next two centuries.
Arecibo`s Ellen Howell reveled in a statement that the asteroid is dark, red, and primitive - which means that it hasn`t been heated or melted as much as other asteroids, Discovery News reported.
Howell added that QE2 is an entirely new beast in the menagerie of asteroids near Earth.
The asteriod was discovered in August 1998 by astronomers working with MIT `s Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research program in New Mexico. The space rock completes one lap around the sun every 3.8 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it