Humans to get extinct before Earth ends in 1.75 billion years
Washington: Habitable conditions on Earth will exist for at least another 1.75 billion years, according to astrobiologists.
The research findings are based on our distance from the sun and temperatures at which it is possible for the planet to have liquid water.
The research used recently discovered planets outside our solar system ( exoplanets ) as examples and investigated the potential for these planets to host life.
The research was led by Andrew Rushby, from UEA`s school of Environmental Sciences said that they used the `habitable zone` concept to make these estimates - this is the distance from a planet`s star at which temperatures are conducive to having liquid water on the surface.
Rushby said that they used stellar evolution models to estimate the end of a planet`s habitable lifetime by determining when it will no longer be in the habitable zone.
He asserted that they estimate that Earth will cease to be habitable somewhere between 1.75 and 3.25 billion years from now and after this point, Earth will be in the `hot zone` of the sun, with temperatures so high that the seas would evaporate.
Rushby said that a catastrophic and terminal extinction event for all life will occur at that time.
The findings have been published today in the journal Astrobiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest