IIT-K to launch nano satellite `Jugnu` in Sept
Kanpur: IIT-Kanpur`s indigenously built nano satellite `Jugnu` is likely to be launched by the end of September from Sriharikota, an official of the institute said today.
ISRO scientists have given the green signal to the engineering model, while the flight model is being assembled in Banglore, IITK Registrar Sanjeev Kashalkar said.
Over 62 students and faculty members of the institute worked hard to built `Jugnu` weighing 3 kg, he said.
On being asked about the delay in the project, he said it took some time for the faculty members and students as it was an indigenously built satellite.
"Jugnu is likely to be launched by the end of next month if everything goes according to our plans," he said.
Even though Rs two crore was sanctioned for developing the satellite, the cost was brought down to a lesser amount as the institute came up with indigenous technique, he said.
Both ISRO and IIT-K had signed an MoU to develop the micro satellite in 2008.
The satellite which will be in the space for about a year will be launched with the help of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), he said.
The data received from `Jugnu` will be studied with the help of a tracking system installed at IIT-K and the received pictures and information from it will be used for research purpose.
The satellite will help in gathering information regarding flood, drought and disaster management, he said, adding its control room and ground station both will be at IIT-K.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day