I`m safely on Mars, says rover tweet
Washington: A string of tweets on behalf of US space agency Nasa`s rover Curiosity tracks the tense moments before the spacecraft landed on Mars.
"I`m safely on the surface of Mars. GALE CRATER I AM IN YOU!!!," said an ecstatic tweet after the rover landed safely on Mars.
Moments earlier, another tweet said: "Backshell separation. It`s just you & me now, descent stage. Engage all retrorockets!"
The critical tweets began with the one saying: "Guided entry is begun. Here I go!".
Less than a minute later, another said: "Parachute deployed! Velocity 900 mph. Altitude 7 miles. 4 minutes to Mars!".
And then it said: "Heatshield separation. Next up: Radar must lock on ground."
Soon after landing on Mars, the rover beamed its first photograph which showed a shadow of the rover on the red planet.
"It once was one small step... now it`s six big wheels. Here`s a look at one of them on the soil of Mars," added a tweet that referred to astronaut Neil Armstrong`s famous words "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" after he set foot on moon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report