India should be proud of Chandrayaan-1: Nair
Panaji: Indian Space Research Organisation
(ISRO) Chairman G Madhavan Nair on Sunday said the country should
be proud of Chandrayaan-1 for being a successful low cost
"Most of the missions are expensive between one and two
USD billion. India can be proud as Chandrayaan-1 was less than
USD 100-million mission," Nair told reporters shortly after
the mission was formally called off.
"We started the Indian mission inviting queries, the
response was very good. We spent USD 85 million, while USD 30
million were spent by the other partners," he said.
Through its maiden Rs 400 crore moon mission,
Chandrayaan 1, India has set a very good example, the ISRO
"No country has done mission of this kind for less than
USD 500 million," said Nair, who was talking to reporters on
the eve of the start of the eighth international conference on
Low Cost Planetary missions.
The conference will be kicked off tomorrow by Goa Chief
Minister Digamber Kamat.
According to Nair, with the low cost involvement,
interest in planetary explorations will increase thereby
expanding the area of activities.
The interest of global community in low cost planetary
missions is good and it will also encourage agencies to take
up more missions, he said.
"The high cost is because of the design of the craft
which has to stand the pressure of radiation. Lot of man-hours
were taken to develop such system," he said, adding
experiences gained in the past reduced the cost of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi