India should be proud of Chandrayaan-1: Nair
Panaji: Indian Space Research Organisation
(ISRO) Chairman G Madhavan Nair on Sunday said the country should
be proud of Chandrayaan-1 for being a successful low cost
"Most of the missions are expensive between one and two
USD billion. India can be proud as Chandrayaan-1 was less than
USD 100-million mission," Nair told reporters shortly after
the mission was formally called off.
"We started the Indian mission inviting queries, the
response was very good. We spent USD 85 million, while USD 30
million were spent by the other partners," he said.
Through its maiden Rs 400 crore moon mission,
Chandrayaan 1, India has set a very good example, the ISRO
"No country has done mission of this kind for less than
USD 500 million," said Nair, who was talking to reporters on
the eve of the start of the eighth international conference on
Low Cost Planetary missions.
The conference will be kicked off tomorrow by Goa Chief
Minister Digamber Kamat.
According to Nair, with the low cost involvement,
interest in planetary explorations will increase thereby
expanding the area of activities.
The interest of global community in low cost planetary
missions is good and it will also encourage agencies to take
up more missions, he said.
"The high cost is because of the design of the craft
which has to stand the pressure of radiation. Lot of man-hours
were taken to develop such system," he said, adding
experiences gained in the past reduced the cost of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’