India to miss `Ring of Fire` during Monday`s solar eclipse
New Delhi: As sky gazers in various parts of the world gear up to watch Monday`s annular solar eclipse - a rare event in which the sun will appear as a thin ring behind the moon - people in India will miss the `Ring of Fire` as it will be over before sunrise.
An annular solar eclipse occurs when the Sun, the Moon and the Earth are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun, therefore only a part of the sun gets blocked. Hence the Sun appears like an annulus (ring), surrounding the outline of the Moon.
The next annular solar eclipse will occur after 18 years in June 2030.
"An annular eclipse of the Sun will occur May 21. The ending of the partial phase of the eclipse will be visible for a very short duration from northeast India after sunrise," said an official of the ministry of earth sciences.
Other parts of India won`t be able to watch the eclipse as it will be over before sunrise.
SPACE (Science Popularisation Association of Communicators & Educators) has taken 70 school students to Hong Kong to witness the annular solar eclipse, where it will be visible clearly.
SPACE president C.B. Devgun, who is heading the tour, said the students will also participate in scientific activities and experiments, including contact timing measurement, a study of change in ambient temperature and lunar limb profile measurements.
People in India can catch the live webcast from Hong Kong by the SPACE expedition team by following the link: http://eclipsechasers.in/web_cast_video.html.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation