India top medal tally at world astronomy olympiad
Mumbai: Indian students bagged three Gold
and two Bronze medals at the 4th International Olympiad in
Astronomy & Astrophysics (IOAA) that concluded in Beijing
India was ranked first in medal tally at the IOAA which
commenced on September 12, Dr Aniket Sule, Academic
coordinator, Indian Astronomy Olympiad Programme who led the
team, told PTI.
Chirag Modi of Indore, Nitesh Kumar Singh of Mumbai, and
Aniruddha Bapat from Pune won Gold medals while Shantanu
Agarwal of Patna, and Kottur Satwik of Hyderabad, won Bronze
medals, he said.
Nitesh Kumar Singh was also awarded special prize for
best performance in the theoretical round.
The team was lead by Sule from Homi Bhabha Centre for
Science Education (HBCSE) and Pradip Dasgupta, Siddharth
Director of HBCSE Prof H C Pradhan accompanied the team
as scientific observer.
At the 4th IOAA, a total of 24 teams from 22 countries
participated. The participating countries included China,
Iran, Korea, Brazil, Greece, Poland, Russia, Romania and
Thailand amongst others.
The IOAA competition consisted of tests in astrophysical
theory, astronomical data analysis as well as night sky
observation, Sule added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?