Indian `military` satellite put into earth`s orbit
Bangalore: India`s first `military` satellite was Wednesday put into the geosynchronous orbit, about 36,000 km above the earth, five days after it was launched Aug 30 onboard an European rocket from Kourou in French Guiana off the Pacific coast.
"The advanced multi-band communication satellite GSAT-7 has been placed in the geosynchronous orbit at an altitude of about 36,000km above earth`s surface after three orbit-raising manoeuvres from our master control facility at Hassan in Karnataka," the state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a statement here.
Hassan is about 180 km from Bangalore.
The 2.5-tonne spacecraft`s antennae, including the ultra high frequency Helix antenna were deployed before it was stabilised on its three-axis in the orbit.
"The satellite will reach its assigned orbital slot of 74 degree east longitude in the geostationary orbit within the next 10 days and its transponders in UHF, S, C and Ku bands will be switched September 14," the statement said.
The four transponders, which receive and transmit signals at high frequency, will improve the maritime communications among the Indian Navy`s warships.
A 108 ampere-hour Lithium-ion battery enables the Rs.185-crore satellite to function even during the eclipse period.
According to defence experts, the satellite will enable the navy to acquire blue water capabilities and need not depend on foreign satellites like Inmarsat, which provide communication services to its ships.
The cost of the launch onboard the Ariane-5 heavy rocket of the European Space Agency (ESA) Arianespace was Rs.440 crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know