Indian space scientist UR Rao inducted into Satellite Hall of Fame
Bangalore: Top Indian space scientist UR Rao has been inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame in Washington DC by the Society of Satellite Professionals International, in the US.
"Rao is the first Indian space scientist to be inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame and joins the select group of about 50 members, including Arthur C. Clarke, Van Allen, Harold Rosen, Peter Jackson and Robert Berry, among others," the state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a statement here Thursday.
Rao, who is chairman of the Physical Research Laboratory in Ahmedabad in Gujarat, has contributed to the development of Indian space technology and its application to communications and remote sensing of natural resources since the 1960s.
"Rao was responsible for the creation of India`s space and satellite capabilities and their application to the nation`s development. As ISRO chairman (1984-1994), he established satellite technology in India," the citation said at a function held March 19.
Rao also accelerated the development of Indian rocket technology, resulting in the launch of ASLV rocket in 1992 and the operational PSLV launch vehicle.
Rao promoted the use of space technology for broadcasting, education, meteorology, remote sensing and disaster warning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'