Indian space scientist UR Rao inducted into Satellite Hall of Fame
Bangalore: Top Indian space scientist UR Rao has been inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame in Washington DC by the Society of Satellite Professionals International, in the US.
"Rao is the first Indian space scientist to be inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame and joins the select group of about 50 members, including Arthur C. Clarke, Van Allen, Harold Rosen, Peter Jackson and Robert Berry, among others," the state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a statement here Thursday.
Rao, who is chairman of the Physical Research Laboratory in Ahmedabad in Gujarat, has contributed to the development of Indian space technology and its application to communications and remote sensing of natural resources since the 1960s.
"Rao was responsible for the creation of India`s space and satellite capabilities and their application to the nation`s development. As ISRO chairman (1984-1994), he established satellite technology in India," the citation said at a function held March 19.
Rao also accelerated the development of Indian rocket technology, resulting in the launch of ASLV rocket in 1992 and the operational PSLV launch vehicle.
Rao promoted the use of space technology for broadcasting, education, meteorology, remote sensing and disaster warning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice