Indian space scientist UR Rao inducted into Satellite Hall of Fame
Bangalore: Top Indian space scientist UR Rao has been inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame in Washington DC by the Society of Satellite Professionals International, in the US.
"Rao is the first Indian space scientist to be inducted into the Satellite Hall of Fame and joins the select group of about 50 members, including Arthur C. Clarke, Van Allen, Harold Rosen, Peter Jackson and Robert Berry, among others," the state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said in a statement here Thursday.
Rao, who is chairman of the Physical Research Laboratory in Ahmedabad in Gujarat, has contributed to the development of Indian space technology and its application to communications and remote sensing of natural resources since the 1960s.
"Rao was responsible for the creation of India`s space and satellite capabilities and their application to the nation`s development. As ISRO chairman (1984-1994), he established satellite technology in India," the citation said at a function held March 19.
Rao also accelerated the development of Indian rocket technology, resulting in the launch of ASLV rocket in 1992 and the operational PSLV launch vehicle.
Rao promoted the use of space technology for broadcasting, education, meteorology, remote sensing and disaster warning.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India