Indians among top contenders in Space Lab contest
New Delhi: Indian students are among the 60 finalists in a global science competition, `YouTube Space Lab`, and if they win, experiments they have designed will be conducted in space with the help of NASA, ESA and JAXA.
"YouTube Space Lab received thousands of video submissions from more than 80 countries. The US led with 10 finalists, followed by India with nine," a joint statement by the organisers announcing the names of the 60 finalists said.
The contest was organised by YouTube, Lenovo and private civilian space flight firm Space Adventures in collaboration with the space agencies.
Experiments designed by the winner will be conducted in space with help of space agencies like National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
Space Lab invited budding scientists in two age groups -- 14-16 years and 17-18 years -- to submit a YouTube video describing their experiment, either alone or in groups of up to three.
Approximately 40 per cent of the entries came from India, followed by the US with 15 per cent, the statement said.
Other countries in the Top 10 list of the number of entries are the UK, Russia, Israel, Canada, Spain, Italy, Poland and Japan, it added.
Seventy-eight per cent of the entries came from students between the age group of 14 to 16 years and the rest from 17 to 18-year-olds.
Six regional winners will be announced in February, who will gather in Washington, DC, in March to experience a ZERO-G (zero gravity) flight. They will also be given a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop, the statement said.
The global winners, two teams from each age group, will be announced in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read