India`s Mars Orbiter crosses Earth`s sphere of influence
Bangalore: India`s maiden mission to Mars has traversed beyond the sphere of influence (SOI) of Earth extending about 9,25,000 km in its 10-month long voyage to the red planet.
The spacecraft crossed the SOI of Earth at around 1:14 hrs (IST) today, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said.
The Mars orbiter spacecraft had slung out of its earth-bound orbit in the early hours of December one during the critical 22-minute Trans Mars Injection, a manoeuvre billed as the "mother of all slingshots."
The spacecraft which was in a hyperbolic orbit had escaped from the SOI, after the first step on Sunday in the Mars mission`s 680 million-km-long odyssey to its destination to put on course the country`s first ever inter-planetary space rendezvous.
ISRO has planned four mid-course corrections --around December 11, in April, August and on September 14 --in case of any deviation along its path to the Martian orbit before its expected arrival in the orbit of the Red planet in September 2014.
The spacecraft is being continuously monitored from the Spacecraft Control Centre at ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) in Bangalore with support from Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN) antennae at Byalalu here.
The Mars mission`s success would catapult India into a small club, which included the US, Europe and Russia, whose probes have orbited or landed on Mars.
ISRO`s workhorse ISRO`s PSLV C 25 had successfully injected the 1,350-kg `Mangalyaan` Orbiter into the orbit around the earth in a textbook launch from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota on November five.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda