India`s Mars Orbiter Mission to be launched on November 5
Chennai: India`s ambitious space mission to explore planet Mars would be launched on November 5 from the spaceport of Sriharikota, ISRO announced Tuesday.
The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), `Mangalyan`, would be launched onboard PSLV C25 on November 5 at 3.28 pm from the first launch pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, some 80 km from here, an ISRO spokesperson said.
A decision on the launch date was to be taken on October 19 but postponed to today in view of bad weather in the South Pacific Ocean.
The powerful XL version of the Indian Space Research Organisation`s workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) would be used for the Rs 450 crore mission.
Primary objectives of the mission are to demonstrate India?s technological capability to send a satellite to orbit around Mars and conduct meaningful experiments such as looking for signs of life, take pictures of the red planet and study Martian environment.
Launch campaign has already commenced in Sriharikota from where the 1,350-kg MOM spacecraft is slated to be launched by the Rs 110 crore Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle.
The satellite will carry compact science experiment instruments, totalling a mass of 15 kg. There will be five instruments to study Martian surface, atmosphere and mineralogy, ISRO said.
After leaving the earth?s orbit, the spacecraft will cruise in deep space for about ten months using its own propulsion system and will reach Martian transfer trajectory in September 2014.
The spacecraft subsequently is planned to enter into a 372 km by 80,000 km elliptical orbit around Mars.
The main theme of MOM appears to be to seek whether there is methane, considered a precursor chemical for life, on the red planet. Methane sensor, one of the five payloads (scientific instruments) on board the spacecraft, would look to detect the presence of methane.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents