`India`s next venture is Mars orbiter mission`
Bhubaneswar: Describing prospects of India`s space programme as exciting and challenging, ISRO Chairman Dr K Radhakrishnan today said the country`s next venture would be the Mars orbiter mission while the first navigation satellite is slated to be launched by June this year.
Mars has played a major role in evolution of life on earth and the next mission is the Mars orbiter mission, Radhakrishnan said during an interaction with students of KIIT University here.
"The first navigation satellite is slated to be launched by June this year. Chandrayan-I is a major step towards lunar and planetary exploration," Radhakrishnan, also Chairman of Space Commission and Secretary, Department of Space, said.
"The next major objective of ISRO is to have a GSLV rocket, which is scheduled to be launched by May," he said.
Stating that the Indian Space Research organisation (ISRO) was now focussing on satellites and launch vehicles, he said prospects and the way forward for India`s space programme "is exciting and challenging".
"India is planning to have a navigation satellite system, called Indian Regional Navigation Satellite, planned in 2013," he said, adding that six more such satellites would be launched in eighteen months.
Radhakrishnan said while most scientific organizations were researching about life and evolution, ISRO put importance on the study of the Moon, Mars and the Sun.
He said the environment of Moon and planets including Mars were missions of the future. "It is projected that by 2030 or 2040 Moon will be an intermediate station for moving to Mars."
On space enterprise, he said several satellites were carrying out important functions in communication, medication and global processing system, according to a release from KIIT university.
The turnover of space enterprises in the world was about USD 177 billion in 2012-13.
US, Russia, China and others were into high technology, including putting human beings in space, while India`s focus for last 50 years was essential application oriented programmes, in which it had become a role model, he said, adding India was among top six space-faring countries.
On academic research, the ISRO chief said many institutes had joined it for development of multi-disciplinary technology.
Academic institutions would continue to play an even greater role in the future.
"Launch of a satellite is a team work involving more than 2,000 (persons)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’