`India`s next venture is Mars orbiter mission`
Bhubaneswar: Describing prospects of India`s space programme as exciting and challenging, ISRO Chairman Dr K Radhakrishnan today said the country`s next venture would be the Mars orbiter mission while the first navigation satellite is slated to be launched by June this year.
Mars has played a major role in evolution of life on earth and the next mission is the Mars orbiter mission, Radhakrishnan said during an interaction with students of KIIT University here.
"The first navigation satellite is slated to be launched by June this year. Chandrayan-I is a major step towards lunar and planetary exploration," Radhakrishnan, also Chairman of Space Commission and Secretary, Department of Space, said.
"The next major objective of ISRO is to have a GSLV rocket, which is scheduled to be launched by May," he said.
Stating that the Indian Space Research organisation (ISRO) was now focussing on satellites and launch vehicles, he said prospects and the way forward for India`s space programme "is exciting and challenging".
"India is planning to have a navigation satellite system, called Indian Regional Navigation Satellite, planned in 2013," he said, adding that six more such satellites would be launched in eighteen months.
Radhakrishnan said while most scientific organizations were researching about life and evolution, ISRO put importance on the study of the Moon, Mars and the Sun.
He said the environment of Moon and planets including Mars were missions of the future. "It is projected that by 2030 or 2040 Moon will be an intermediate station for moving to Mars."
On space enterprise, he said several satellites were carrying out important functions in communication, medication and global processing system, according to a release from KIIT university.
The turnover of space enterprises in the world was about USD 177 billion in 2012-13.
US, Russia, China and others were into high technology, including putting human beings in space, while India`s focus for last 50 years was essential application oriented programmes, in which it had become a role model, he said, adding India was among top six space-faring countries.
On academic research, the ISRO chief said many institutes had joined it for development of multi-disciplinary technology.
Academic institutions would continue to play an even greater role in the future.
"Launch of a satellite is a team work involving more than 2,000 (persons)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered