India`s Team Indus among finalists in Google prize to land spacecraft on Moon
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Bangalore: India`s Team Indus has been named among the five finalists of the Google Lunar XPrize, the grand global competition to land a robotic spacecraft on the Moon by December 2015.
Team Indus is co-founded by IITians Rahul Narayan and Indranil Chakraborty. The team made to the top contenders after achieving technological landmarks in the global competition that carries $40 million in prize money.
Out of 18, the nine member independent judging panel selected five teams, who have managed to qualify in certain categories- Astrobotic (US), Moon Express (US), Hakuto (Japan), Part-Time-Scientists (Germany), and Team Indus (India).
They will now compete in the final phase of three separate competitions with potential prizes totaling $6 million to be awarded later this year.
Apart from Chakraborty and Narayan, Team Indus` founding team consists of former Air Force pilot Sameer Joshi, management guru Julius Amrit and branding expert and turnaround honcho Dilip Chabria.
Both Chakraborty and Narayan, now in their 40s, grew up in Delhi. They were classmates in Delhi Public School, RK Puram, from Standard 6. They parted ways briefly for their graduation, Narayan went to IIT, Delhi, for computer engineering, and Chakraborty to IIT, Kharagpur, for aerospace engineering. Both graduated in 1995, and came together again to do startups, including one in software services in 1999.
When they heard about the Google Lunar XPRIZE competition in 2009-10, they put their entire focus on the space venture.
The Google Lunar XPRIZE is an unprecedented space competition organized by the X Prize Foundation, and sponsored by Google. To win the prize, a privately funded team must successfully place a robot on the Moon that travels more than 500 metres and transmits high-definition video and images back to Earth.
Image credit: blog.teamindus.in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'