Iran’s attempt to launch monkey into space fails
Tehran: Iran has acknowledged that its attempt to send a live monkey into space has turned out to be a failure.
“The Kavoshgar-5 rocket carrying a capsule with a live animal (a monkey) was launched during Shahrivar (an Iranian calendar month spanning August 23 to September 22),” the Telegraph quoted Deputy Science Minister Mohammad Mehdinejad-Nouri, as saying.
“However, the launch was not publicised as all of its anticipated objectives were not accomplished,” he added.
He said the launch of a live animal into space was “strategic, and a priority,” and expressed hope that future launches would attain more of the objectives set.
On October 3, Iran postponed plans to send a live monkey into space, without giving any reasons.
“One cannot give a set date for this project and as soon as our nation``s scientists announce the readiness (of the project) it will be announced,” said Hamid Fazeli, head of Iran``s Space Organisation.
The project, unveiled in February by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, envisaged launching a capsule with life support using the Kavoshgar-5 rocket to an altitude of 120 kilometres (75 miles) for a 20-minute suborbital flight.
Meanwhile, Iran has already sent small animals into space, a rat, turtles and worms, aboard a capsule carried by its Kavoshgar-3 rocket in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway