ISRO set to launch second navigational satellite next week
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch its second navigational satellite, Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System-1B (IRNSS-1B), next week from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
The satellite will be launched on April 4 using its rocket, Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
“The rocket and the satellite are now fully integrated. The full vehicle tests are being carried out,” Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR Director MYS Prasad was quoted as saying to IANS, adding that all systems are fine.
He said the launch rehearsal would be held March 29, and its countdown will begin April 2.
The countdown for the rocket launch will be around 53 hours. The PSLV rocket carrying the 1,432-kg IRNSS-1B satellite is slated to blast off at 5.14 p.m. April 4, Prasad said.
The IRNSS-1B satellite will be part of the seven-satellite Indian regional navigational system, developed by India.
India launched its first navigational satellite IRNSS-1A in July 2013, using PSLV-C22. The IRNSS-IB has been realised in less than seven months of the launch of the IRNSS-1A.
The navigational system is designed to provide accurate position information service to users within the country as well as the region extending up to 1,500 km from its boundary line.
The system is similar to the global positioning system of the US, Glonass of Russia, Galileo of Europe, China`s Beidou or the Japanese Quasi Zenith Satellite System.
The IRNSS will be used for terrestrial, aerial and marine navigation, disaster management, vehicle tracking and fleet management, integration with mobile phones, mapping and geodetic data capture and others.
Even if ISRO remains silent on the navigation system`s strategic application, it is clear that the IRNSS will be used for defence purposes as well.
The life span of the IRNSS-1B satellite would be around 10 years.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!