ISRO to begin process soon for Human Space Flight Mission
Hyderabad: ISRO`s Satish Dhawan Space
Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota will soon initiate the process of
creating Third Launch Pad for human transportation into space,
SHRC Director Chandra Datttan on Tuesday said during Republic Day
After unfurling the Tricolour at the SDSC, he said
the work may start in six months with an estimated cost of Rs
The Third Launch Pad is required for the 2015 Human
Space Flight Mission and beyond, a senior Official of ISRO
said adding the launch pad would be designed to accommodate
the Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV), ISRO`s dream space shuttle.
The present launch pads would not support human
programmes and the third pad would cater to all our future
space programmes, the official said. The SDSC has already
completed the configuration studies for the Third Pad and the
process would be initiated by calling competitive bidding.
He did not rule out the possibility of using the pad
for commercial purpose. We are launching private and foreign
satellites through our sister concern Antrix Corporation. So
there should not be any problems using the pad for sending
astronauts belong to other countries, the official said.
The first Launch Pad, which became operational in
1971, is being used for PSLV launches. The Second Pad, which
is operational since 2005 would facilitate launching of
advanced satellites till the next decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?