ISRO to begin process soon for Human Space Flight Mission
Hyderabad: ISRO`s Satish Dhawan Space
Centre (SDSC) in Sriharikota will soon initiate the process of
creating Third Launch Pad for human transportation into space,
SHRC Director Chandra Datttan on Tuesday said during Republic Day
After unfurling the Tricolour at the SDSC, he said
the work may start in six months with an estimated cost of Rs
The Third Launch Pad is required for the 2015 Human
Space Flight Mission and beyond, a senior Official of ISRO
said adding the launch pad would be designed to accommodate
the Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV), ISRO`s dream space shuttle.
The present launch pads would not support human
programmes and the third pad would cater to all our future
space programmes, the official said. The SDSC has already
completed the configuration studies for the Third Pad and the
process would be initiated by calling competitive bidding.
He did not rule out the possibility of using the pad
for commercial purpose. We are launching private and foreign
satellites through our sister concern Antrix Corporation. So
there should not be any problems using the pad for sending
astronauts belong to other countries, the official said.
The first Launch Pad, which became operational in
1971, is being used for PSLV launches. The Second Pad, which
is operational since 2005 would facilitate launching of
advanced satellites till the next decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why