ISRO to launch its navigational satellite IRNSS 1B today
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is looking forward to lift-off of its IRNSS 1B satellite from Sriharikota on Friday.
The 1,432-kg satellite is second of the seven planned satellites for the regional navigational system. The satellite is equivalent to Global Positioning System of the US and would help put in place the Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System.
IRNSS 1B would be launched at 5.14 PM from the First Launch Pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, where the countdown for the launch is presently proceeding smoothly, ISRO officials said.
IRNSS 1B is being sent on board an XL version of ISRO`s workhorse PSLV. Its predecessor IRNSS-1A was launched in July 2013.
IRNSS 1B has a mission life of 10 years from the date of launch.
ISRO needs to launch at least four of the seven satellites to start the operations of the IRNSS. The national space agency launched IRNSS 1A, its first satellite, on July 1 last year and it is presently in orbit.
Being developed by India, IRNSS is designed to provide accurate position information service to users in the country as well as the region extending up to 1,500 km from its boundary, which is its primary service area.
IRNSS` applications include terrestrial and marine navigation, disaster management, vehicle tracking and fleet management.
IRNSS is similar to US` Global Positioning System, Russia`s Glonass and Europe`s Galileo. China and Japan too have similar systems named Beidou and Japanese Quasi Zenith Satellite System respectively, ISRO officials said.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi