ISRO to re-launch GSLV in one year
Kolkata: The Indian Space Research
Organisation (ISRO) is planning to relaunch the Geosynchronous
Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) with a home-grown cryogenic
engine in a year`s time after the failure in April this year.
"We have come across a few scenarios after detailed
analysis of the failure. Now the immediate task is to test it
on the ground and we look forward to relaunch it next year,"
ISRO chairman K Radhakrishnan told reporters on the sidelines
of the 117 birth anniversary celebrations of Professor P C
Mahalanobis at the Indian Statistical Institute here.
The five earlier versions of the GSLV had Russia-
supplied cryogenic engines. India`s cryogenic upper stage
(CUS) engine was meant to replace the Russian engines.
The GSLV D-3, the satellite launch vehicle showcasing
the country`s indigenous cryogenic technology, trailed off its
designated course and went out of control shortly after the
lift-off on April 15.
The rocket, along with its two payloads -- satellites
GSAT-4 and GAGAN -- crashed into the Bay of Bengal minutes
The failed mission caused loss of the GSLV-D3 rocket
costing about Rs 180 crore and the satellites valued at Rs 150
The launch was the key to India`s space programme as
it would have made it the sixth nation to successfully deploy
cryogenic technology, joining US, Russia, Japan, China and
Meanwhile, Radhakrishnan said Chandrayaan-II will be
launched in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?