ISRO to send three satellites on board PSLV early next year
Sriharikota (AP): ISRO intended to make a
series of launches in 2011-2012 including a "Youth Satellite"
made by students of Singapore University, the space agency`s
Chairman K Radhakrishnan said on Saturday.
Explaining about the agency`s future plans, he told
reporters here that ISRO was hoping to sending three
satellites on board the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle early
"Currently it is in the assembling stage. We will be
doing the flight testing stage later in January (2011) and we
are expecting it to be launched in the first week of
February," he said, adding it will be the 16 mission of the
PSLV, (PSLV C-16).
The vehicle would carry the Resourcesat-II, Youth Sat, a
satellite developed by students of Singapore University, and
Resourcesat-2 is a follow on mission to Resourcesat-1. It
is intended to replace Resourcesat-1 launched in 2003. The
images provided by Resourcesat-1 were used for advanced
applications such as vegetation, crop yield and disaster
Besides, he said a heavier communication satellite GSAT-8
which is being jointly developed by Indo-French space agencies
would be launched from Arianespace French Guyuana in
"24 Ku-band transponders will be coming by March 2011..
We have a contract with them (French Guyana)," he said. "After
this we will be launching the GSAT-10 and GSAT-9 completing
the series," he said, adding that GSAT-10 and GSAT-9 would be
ISRO is also looking at possibilities to launch
Megha-tropiques satellite on PSLV-C17 by 2011 which would help
to study the tropical climates.
On the Chandrayaan-2 mission, he said they are planning
to launch it in 2013-2014. He said that the space agency
discussed the matter with French President Nicolas Sarkozy who
expressed happiness about the mission.
Sarkozy and his wife Carla Bruni had visited the ISRO
headquarters at Bangalore early this month.
Radhakrishnan said they would also launch the
communication satellite GSAT-12 using Polar Satellite Launch
Vehicle next year.
"We are building it right now.. We are going to
launch it from Sriharikota in 2011", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured