ISRO to send three satellites on board PSLV early next year
Sriharikota (AP): ISRO intended to make a
series of launches in 2011-2012 including a "Youth Satellite"
made by students of Singapore University, the space agency`s
Chairman K Radhakrishnan said on Saturday.
Explaining about the agency`s future plans, he told
reporters here that ISRO was hoping to sending three
satellites on board the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle early
"Currently it is in the assembling stage. We will be
doing the flight testing stage later in January (2011) and we
are expecting it to be launched in the first week of
February," he said, adding it will be the 16 mission of the
PSLV, (PSLV C-16).
The vehicle would carry the Resourcesat-II, Youth Sat, a
satellite developed by students of Singapore University, and
Resourcesat-2 is a follow on mission to Resourcesat-1. It
is intended to replace Resourcesat-1 launched in 2003. The
images provided by Resourcesat-1 were used for advanced
applications such as vegetation, crop yield and disaster
Besides, he said a heavier communication satellite GSAT-8
which is being jointly developed by Indo-French space agencies
would be launched from Arianespace French Guyuana in
"24 Ku-band transponders will be coming by March 2011..
We have a contract with them (French Guyana)," he said. "After
this we will be launching the GSAT-10 and GSAT-9 completing
the series," he said, adding that GSAT-10 and GSAT-9 would be
ISRO is also looking at possibilities to launch
Megha-tropiques satellite on PSLV-C17 by 2011 which would help
to study the tropical climates.
On the Chandrayaan-2 mission, he said they are planning
to launch it in 2013-2014. He said that the space agency
discussed the matter with French President Nicolas Sarkozy who
expressed happiness about the mission.
Sarkozy and his wife Carla Bruni had visited the ISRO
headquarters at Bangalore early this month.
Radhakrishnan said they would also launch the
communication satellite GSAT-12 using Polar Satellite Launch
Vehicle next year.
"We are building it right now.. We are going to
launch it from Sriharikota in 2011", he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler