ISRO to send three satellites on board PSLV early next year
Sriharikota (AP): ISRO intended to make a
series of launches in 2011-2012 including a "Youth Satellite"
made by students of Singapore University, the space agency`s
Chairman K Radhakrishnan said on Saturday.
Explaining about the agency`s future plans, he told
reporters here that ISRO was hoping to sending three
satellites on board the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle early
"Currently it is in the assembling stage. We will be
doing the flight testing stage later in January (2011) and we
are expecting it to be launched in the first week of
February," he said, adding it will be the 16 mission of the
PSLV, (PSLV C-16).
The vehicle would carry the Resourcesat-II, Youth Sat, a
satellite developed by students of Singapore University, and
Resourcesat-2 is a follow on mission to Resourcesat-1. It
is intended to replace Resourcesat-1 launched in 2003. The
images provided by Resourcesat-1 were used for advanced
applications such as vegetation, crop yield and disaster
Besides, he said a heavier communication satellite GSAT-8
which is being jointly developed by Indo-French space agencies
would be launched from Arianespace French Guyuana in
"24 Ku-band transponders will be coming by March 2011..
We have a contract with them (French Guyana)," he said. "After
this we will be launching the GSAT-10 and GSAT-9 completing
the series," he said, adding that GSAT-10 and GSAT-9 would be
ISRO is also looking at possibilities to launch
Megha-tropiques satellite on PSLV-C17 by 2011 which would help
to study the tropical climates.
On the Chandrayaan-2 mission, he said they are planning
to launch it in 2013-2014. He said that the space agency
discussed the matter with French President Nicolas Sarkozy who
expressed happiness about the mission.
Sarkozy and his wife Carla Bruni had visited the ISRO
headquarters at Bangalore early this month.
Radhakrishnan said they would also launch the
communication satellite GSAT-12 using Polar Satellite Launch
Vehicle next year.
"We are building it right now.. We are going to
launch it from Sriharikota in 2011", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27