ISS to be de-orbited, sunk in Pacific after 2020
Moscow: Built with great difficulty and labour, the International Space Station (ISS) will be de-orbited and sunk in the Pacific Ocean after 2020 like its Russian predecessor Mir, a top Russian official said Wednesday.
Russian space agency Roscosmos deputy head Vitaly Davydov said: "We will be forced to sink the ISS. We cannot leave it in orbit as it is a very complicated and a heavy object. There must be no space waste from it."
"We have agreed with our partners that the ISS would function roughly until 2020," he added.
The space station`s life was initially estimated at 15 years.
The ISS has been functioning for 13 years now after receiving numerous international space expeditions. It was launched in 1998.
Asked whether a new space station will be built, Davydov said: "There are several possibilities".
The Mir space station was in operation from 1983 to 1998 before it was sunk in the Pacific in a "spacecraft cemetery" near Christmas Island in 2000.
The agreement to construct the ISS was signed Jan 29, 1998, in Washington by representatives from Canada, 11 members of the European Space Agency - that included Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Britain - alongwith Japan, Russia and the US.
The ISS was launched Nov 20, 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video