It`s official! Comet ISON`s dead
Washington: Comet ISON, once called the comet of the century, couldn`t survive the close brush with the sun, it has been revealed.
The comet, which excited astronomers and the media after passing within one million kilometres of the sun on November 28, was pronounced dead at a scientific conference on Tuesday.
Naval Research Lab astronomer Karl Battams, who was heading the observing campaign for the comet, said Ison, about 800m wide, was stretched and pulled by the sun`s powerful gravity and was also hit with solar radiation.
Battams added that at this point it seems like there is nothing left.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!