Japan ready to send mission to explore Venus
Tokyo: Japan is all ready to launch Tuesday its new space mission which will study the climate and surface of Venus.
The new space vehicle, called Venus Climate Orbiter Akatsuki, will travel to Venus on a two-year mission to study its climate and surface. It has been placed on its launch pad at Tanegashima Space Center in Kagoshima Prefecture Monday, Xinhua reported.
Akatsuki, which means "Dawn" in Japanese, is scheduled to lift off at 6:44 a.m. Tuesday, provided the weather is clear, said a spokesperson from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
"Once we can explain the structure of Venus, we will be able to better understand Earth," Akatsuki`s project scientist Takeshi Imamura said in a statement.
"For example, we may discover the reasons that only Earth has been able to sustain oceans, and why only Earth is abundant in life," he said.
Akatsuki is "the world`s first interplanetary probe that deserves to be called a meteorological satellite", Imamura said.
The probe carries five instruments which will help observe clouds, the terrain whilst orbiting the planet from the distances of 300 km to 80,000 km.
The mission will be launched by a Japanese H-2A rocket and, according to JAXA, will be carrying a payload to carry out several smaller satellite experiments, including a solar sail to be powered by the sun`s radiation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks