Jupiter will be big, bright on Monday night
New Delhi: Jupiter, the largest after the Sun in the solar system, will be at its biggest and brightest Monday night much to the delight of sky-gazers.
The planet, which has a system of rings, is at its closest approach and thus would appear more big and bright than usual, N Sri Raghunandan Kumar of Planetary Society of India said.
The planet can be seen with naked eyes an hour after the sunset in the eastern direction tomorrow. It will be visible all through the night and at midnight one can spot it in the southern direction at a higher elevation, he said.
According to him, Jupiter, which has a large number of natural satellites, will be in `opposition` tomorrow night. "A planet is said to be in opposition when it is directly opposite to the Sun from our view from Earth," he said.
At its opposition, the planet is fully illuminated by the Sun and appears disc-like, he said, adding, Jupiter`s opposition occurs every 13 months.
The last opposition of the planet occurred on October, 29, 2011 and the next will be January 6, 2014.
The minimum distance of Jupiter from Earth is approximately 588 million kms while its maximum distance is about 967 million kms.
Tomorrow, the ring planet will be at 608 million kms, which is very close to its minimum distance from Earth.
"Because of its closeness to Earth, Jupiter will be shinning very bright at -2.8 Magnitude," Kumar said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference