Jupiter will be big, bright on Monday night
New Delhi: Jupiter, the largest after the Sun in the solar system, will be at its biggest and brightest Monday night much to the delight of sky-gazers.
The planet, which has a system of rings, is at its closest approach and thus would appear more big and bright than usual, N Sri Raghunandan Kumar of Planetary Society of India said.
The planet can be seen with naked eyes an hour after the sunset in the eastern direction tomorrow. It will be visible all through the night and at midnight one can spot it in the southern direction at a higher elevation, he said.
According to him, Jupiter, which has a large number of natural satellites, will be in `opposition` tomorrow night. "A planet is said to be in opposition when it is directly opposite to the Sun from our view from Earth," he said.
At its opposition, the planet is fully illuminated by the Sun and appears disc-like, he said, adding, Jupiter`s opposition occurs every 13 months.
The last opposition of the planet occurred on October, 29, 2011 and the next will be January 6, 2014.
The minimum distance of Jupiter from Earth is approximately 588 million kms while its maximum distance is about 967 million kms.
Tomorrow, the ring planet will be at 608 million kms, which is very close to its minimum distance from Earth.
"Because of its closeness to Earth, Jupiter will be shinning very bright at -2.8 Magnitude," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm