Jupiter`s moon Europa `likely to harbour life`
London: Jupiter`s moon Europa is the most likely candidate in the Universe beyond the Earth that could harbour life, NASA scientists believe.
Researchers say Europa, the sixth closest moon to Jupiter, is far more likely to be habitable than even desert-covered Mars which has been the focus of recent exploration.
The presence of an ocean, a thin shelf of ice and oxidants on the surface of Europa make it far more likely to be home to a life form than the red planet.
NASA says it has revised plans to explore Europa, coming up with a cheaper way of completing its mission.
"Europa is the most promising in terms of habitability," Robert Pappalardo, a planetary scientist at NASA`s jet propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, told France 24.
Pappalardo said that a new USD 2 billion exploration project called Clipper would see NASA team up with physicists from the John Hopkins University if it gets the permission.
The mission follows the success of Cassini, a probe that closely explored Titan - a moon of Saturn. NASA will send a spacecraft into Jupiter`s orbit and conduct a number of close flybys of Europa.
Papparlardo said that exploring Europa using the flyby method will allow scientists to explore the moon in its entirety.
Clipper could be launched by 2021 and would take a further three to six years to reach Europa, the report said.
However, NASA announced last year that there are currently no funds for the mission. Instead, it will send a new robot to Mars in 2020, similar to Curiosity.
Europa was first examined by the Voyager mission in 1979 and by Galileo in the 1990s. Scientists believe that Encelade, a moon belonging to Saturn, could also be habitable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview