Kolkata scientists plan to study Russian meteorite
Kolkata: Scientists in Kolkata plan to buy fragments of the meteorite that rained in on parts of Russia on February 15 to investigate the mysteries of the "origin of life".
"We believe that complex molecules originated in space and meteorites could provide insights into the origin of life. We would like to buy and study pieces of the Russian meteorite to gain valuable insights," S.K. Chakrabarti, honorary professor at Indian Centre for Space Physics (ICSP), Kolkata, said.
To unlock the mysteries of the origin of life, ICSP scientists are trying to purchase state-of-the-art equipment from the US to study the meteorite, that crashed into remote parts of the Ural mountains in Russia, injuring over a thousand.
"We are trying to procure a very expensive piece of equipment that can examine objects as fine as a hair. It will cost around Rs.3 crore. By March end we will know if we are able to procure it or not," Chakrabarti said.
"Once we have the equipment we will buy pieces of the meteorite to study it," added Chakrabarti, who also doubles as a senior professor at the SN Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'