Kolkata to host 100th Indian Science Congress
New Delhi: How can science be used to aid the development process in India, will be the focal theme of the centenary session next year of the Indian Science Congress (ISC), officials said Wednesday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the chairperson of the 100th session of the Indian Science Congress, the largest annual national science event in the country, to be held Jan 3-7 in Kolkata.
Around 10,000 participants, including Nobel laureates and eminent scientists from across the world, are expected to congregate in Kolkata for the event, at which schoolchildren and members of the general public will also be present.
T Ramasami, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, said the focal theme of the centenary session of the Indian Science Congress would be "Science for shaping the future of India". The sessions would discuss ways in which science and technology could be used to further the goals of development, he added.
"Special emphasis will be laid on bridging the divide in our society using science and technology, so we achieve inclusive development," Ramasami said.
The ISC will showcase cutting-edge technologies, leading scientific products and services, path breaking R&D initiatives and achievements of India`s foremost and leading public and private sector organisations, government departments, research labs, educational institutions and defence services.
Vigyan Jyoti (Flame of Knowledge) will travel from Delhi to Kolkata by road, spreading awareness of the importance of science among youth en route, urging young people to take to science as a career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Ireland and France urge quick 'Brexit' from European Union
- Mehbooba Mufti meets families affected by Kashmir violence
- Thousands bid emotional farewell as hockey legend Mohammed Shahid laid to rest
- Kudankulam unit 2 physical start-up process begun: Sources
- Derecognise AAP in wake of its activist's suicide: BJP