Kolkata to host 100th Indian Science Congress
New Delhi: How can science be used to aid the development process in India, will be the focal theme of the centenary session next year of the Indian Science Congress (ISC), officials said Wednesday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be the chairperson of the 100th session of the Indian Science Congress, the largest annual national science event in the country, to be held Jan 3-7 in Kolkata.
Around 10,000 participants, including Nobel laureates and eminent scientists from across the world, are expected to congregate in Kolkata for the event, at which schoolchildren and members of the general public will also be present.
T Ramasami, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, said the focal theme of the centenary session of the Indian Science Congress would be "Science for shaping the future of India". The sessions would discuss ways in which science and technology could be used to further the goals of development, he added.
"Special emphasis will be laid on bridging the divide in our society using science and technology, so we achieve inclusive development," Ramasami said.
The ISC will showcase cutting-edge technologies, leading scientific products and services, path breaking R&D initiatives and achievements of India`s foremost and leading public and private sector organisations, government departments, research labs, educational institutions and defence services.
Vigyan Jyoti (Flame of Knowledge) will travel from Delhi to Kolkata by road, spreading awareness of the importance of science among youth en route, urging young people to take to science as a career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves