LAB clears GSLV D5 launch; countdown from Jan 4
Chennai: Decks were cleared for the January 5 launch of India`s rejuvenated indigenous cryogenic engine- fitted GSLV-D5 carrying communication satellite GSAT-14 from the spaceport of Sriharikota with ISRO`s Launch Authorisation Board (LAB) giving its nod for the key mission today.
A 29-hour countdown for the launch is set to commence on January 4 next, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) sources said.
"The Launch Authorisation Board has cleared the GSLV D5 launch for January 5. A 29-hour countdown is set to commence on January 4 at around 11 AM," an ISRO official told PTI.
GSLV D5 would be launched at 4.18 pm from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) at Sriharikota, about 100 km from here.
The Launch Authorisation Board met at the SDSC.
Following the clearance, the launch vehicle would be moved to the launch pad tomorrow around 6 AM, the sources said.
The launch vehicle had already been integrated with the 1,980 kg GSAT 14.
GSLV D5`s mission was aborted at the eleventh hour on August 19 this year due to a fuel leak in its second stage.
Fuel tank made of aluminium alloy called Afnor 7020 tended to develop crack over a period of time and the leak was blamed on it following which the rocket had been rejuvenated.
The GSLV is designed to inject its passenger spacecraft into the intended Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) with a combination of solid, earth-storable liquid and cryogenic propellants in it`s first, second and third stages, respectively.
The lift-off has been further augmented by the four earth- storable liquid strap-on boosters attached to the first stage, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams