LAB clears GSLV D5 launch; countdown from Jan 4
Chennai: Decks were cleared for the January 5 launch of India`s rejuvenated indigenous cryogenic engine- fitted GSLV-D5 carrying communication satellite GSAT-14 from the spaceport of Sriharikota with ISRO`s Launch Authorisation Board (LAB) giving its nod for the key mission today.
A 29-hour countdown for the launch is set to commence on January 4 next, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) sources said.
"The Launch Authorisation Board has cleared the GSLV D5 launch for January 5. A 29-hour countdown is set to commence on January 4 at around 11 AM," an ISRO official told PTI.
GSLV D5 would be launched at 4.18 pm from Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) at Sriharikota, about 100 km from here.
The Launch Authorisation Board met at the SDSC.
Following the clearance, the launch vehicle would be moved to the launch pad tomorrow around 6 AM, the sources said.
The launch vehicle had already been integrated with the 1,980 kg GSAT 14.
GSLV D5`s mission was aborted at the eleventh hour on August 19 this year due to a fuel leak in its second stage.
Fuel tank made of aluminium alloy called Afnor 7020 tended to develop crack over a period of time and the leak was blamed on it following which the rocket had been rejuvenated.
The GSLV is designed to inject its passenger spacecraft into the intended Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) with a combination of solid, earth-storable liquid and cryogenic propellants in it`s first, second and third stages, respectively.
The lift-off has been further augmented by the four earth- storable liquid strap-on boosters attached to the first stage, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy