Large Hadron Collider detects new particle
London: Large Hadron Collider has discovered a new sub atomic particle called Chi_b (3P), which can provide vital clues about elusive ‘God particle’ or Higgs boson.
Higgs is a theoretical particle which is thought to ‘explain’ why the universe has mass.
The Atlas detector, one of the LHC’s two huge particle detectors - captured the particle that physicists had suspected to exist for years, but had never seen ‘in the wild’, the Daily Mail reported.
Chi_b (3P) is LHC’s first confirmed sighting of an all new particle and was detected among data from the trillions of collisions at the LHC.
This new particle is a crucial milestone for the collider and a vital step towards its mission to fill in the gaps in our understanding of physics.
Professor Stefan Soldner-Rembold, a particle physicist at the University of Manchester said that the Higgs ‘will always be the Nobel Prize’, but this discovery is still very exciting.
He asserted that the particle comprises a bottom quark and a bottom anti-quark.
“It’s exciting confirmation of the theory of strong interactions that keeps these particles together, the same theory that describes how a nucleus sticks together,” Soldner-Rembold said.
“What they’ve found is a b-quark and an anti b-quark. Quarks cannot be seen by themselves, they’re contained in a particle and held together with the strong force. If you understand how the force works, you can predict which particles should exist.
“With all these different quarks you can play Lego and put them together in different ways and form new particles, similar to protons, that can be combined to form elements,” he added.
The study has been published online on the scientific publication site ArXiv.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!