Large Hadron Collider detects new particle
London: Large Hadron Collider has discovered a new sub atomic particle called Chi_b (3P), which can provide vital clues about elusive ‘God particle’ or Higgs boson.
Higgs is a theoretical particle which is thought to ‘explain’ why the universe has mass.
The Atlas detector, one of the LHC’s two huge particle detectors - captured the particle that physicists had suspected to exist for years, but had never seen ‘in the wild’, the Daily Mail reported.
Chi_b (3P) is LHC’s first confirmed sighting of an all new particle and was detected among data from the trillions of collisions at the LHC.
This new particle is a crucial milestone for the collider and a vital step towards its mission to fill in the gaps in our understanding of physics.
Professor Stefan Soldner-Rembold, a particle physicist at the University of Manchester said that the Higgs ‘will always be the Nobel Prize’, but this discovery is still very exciting.
He asserted that the particle comprises a bottom quark and a bottom anti-quark.
“It’s exciting confirmation of the theory of strong interactions that keeps these particles together, the same theory that describes how a nucleus sticks together,” Soldner-Rembold said.
“What they’ve found is a b-quark and an anti b-quark. Quarks cannot be seen by themselves, they’re contained in a particle and held together with the strong force. If you understand how the force works, you can predict which particles should exist.
“With all these different quarks you can play Lego and put them together in different ways and form new particles, similar to protons, that can be combined to form elements,” he added.
The study has been published online on the scientific publication site ArXiv.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog