Largest fragment of meteorite in Russia found
Moscow: Divers have found the largest piece so far of a meteorite which hit Russia`s Chelyabinsk region in February this year, a scholar said Wednesday.
Xinhua quoted Sergei Zamozdra, an associate professor at South Urals State University, as saying that preliminary studies showed the 570-kg fragment came from the Chelyabinsk meteorite.
It was recovered from a depth of 20 metres in the Chebarkul Lake, he said.
It will be placed at a local museum after undergoing X-rays and other scientific tests.
The meteorite exploded over the Chelyabinsk region in central Russia on Feb 15, injuring more than 1,600 people and damaging property worth about 1 billion roubles ($30 million).
Scientists have so far found five fragments of the meteorite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!