Largest fragment of meteorite in Russia found
Moscow: Divers have found the largest piece so far of a meteorite which hit Russia`s Chelyabinsk region in February this year, a scholar said Wednesday.
Xinhua quoted Sergei Zamozdra, an associate professor at South Urals State University, as saying that preliminary studies showed the 570-kg fragment came from the Chelyabinsk meteorite.
It was recovered from a depth of 20 metres in the Chebarkul Lake, he said.
It will be placed at a local museum after undergoing X-rays and other scientific tests.
The meteorite exploded over the Chelyabinsk region in central Russia on Feb 15, injuring more than 1,600 people and damaging property worth about 1 billion roubles ($30 million).
Scientists have so far found five fragments of the meteorite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs