Liquid water `discovered on frozen comet`
Washington: Planetary scientists claim to have for the first time found concrete evidence for the presence of liquid water in a comet.
A team, led by Arizona University in the US, says the finding has shattered the current paradigm that comets never get warm enough to melt the ice that makes up the bulk of their material.
The scientists made the discovery by analysing dust grains brought back to Earth from comet Wild-2 as part of the Stardust mission by NASA.
"In our samples, we found minerals that formed in the presence of liquid water. At some point in its history, the comet must have harboured pockets of water," Eve Berger, who led the team, said.
Comets are frequently called dirty snowballs because they consist of mostly water ice, peppered with rocky debris and frozen gases, say the scientists.
"When the ice melted on Wild-2, the resulting warm water dissolved minerals that were present at the time and precipitated the iron and copper sulfide minerals we observed in our study.
"The sulfide minerals formed between 50 and 200 degrees Celsius, much warmer than the sub-zero temperatures predicted for the interior of a comet," they said.
In addition to providing evidence of liquid water, the discovered ingredients put an upper limit to the temperatures Wild-2 encountered during its origin and history.
"The mineral we found -- cubanite -- is very rare in sample collections from space. It comes in two forms – the one we found only exists below 210 degrees Celsius (99 degrees Fahrenheit). This is exciting because it tells us those grains have not seen temperatures higher than that," Berger said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?