LOFAR captures images of colliding galaxy cluster
Washington: The International LOFAR Telescope has made the first images of galaxy cluster Abell 2256 in the frequency range of 20 to 60 MHz.
Abell 2256 is a cluster containing hundreds of galaxies at a distance of 800 million light-years.
An international team of astronomers is using the telescope from ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, to study the formation of the galaxy cluster.
“The structure we see in the radio images made with LOFAR provides us with information about the origin of this cluster,” explained lead author Dr. Reinout van Weeren (Leiden University and ASTRON).
The research involved a large team of scientists from 26 different universities and research institutes.
What came as a surprise to scientists was that the cluster of galaxies was brighter and more complex than expected.
“We think that galaxy clusters form by mergers and collisions of smaller clusters,” said Dr. van Weeren.
Abell 2256 is a prime example of a cluster that is currently undergoing a collision. The radio emission is produced by tiny elementary particles that move nearly at the speed of light.
With LOFAR it is possible to study how these particles get accelerated to such speeds.
“In particular, we will learn how this acceleration takes place in regions measuring more than 10 million light-years across,” said Dr. Gianfranco Brunetti from IRA-INAF in Bologna, Italy, who together with Prof. Marcus Brüggen from the Jacobs University in Bremen, coordinates the LOFAR work on galaxy clusters.
LOFAR was built by a large international consortium led by the Netherlands and which includes Germany, France, the United Kingdom and Sweden.
One of the main goals of LOFAR is to survey the entire northern sky at low radio frequencies, with a sensitivity and resolution about 100 times better than what has been previously done. Scientists believe that this survey will discover more than 100 million objects in the distant universe.
“Soon we will start our systematic surveys of the sky that will lead to great discoveries,” stated Prof. Huub Rolttgering from Leiden University and Principal Investigator of the LOFAR Survey Key Project.
The study will be published in the scientific journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared