`Lunar Bible` that flew to the moon on Apollo 14 sold for $75k at auction
New York: A microfilm Bible regarded as one of the rarest "books" on earth, after flying around the moon once with Apollo 13 and later landing on the moon`s surface with Apollo 14, has been sold at an auction of space memorabilia in Dallas for 75,000 dollars.
The 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch " Lunar Bible," which can be read with a microscope, is one of 12 complete Bibles that remain from a collection of 100 Bibles which made it to the moon`s surface with astronaut Edgar Mitchell in 1971, the New York Daily News reported.
Michael Riley, senior historian for Heritage Auctions said that this tiny microform contains the complete Bible, all 1,245 pages of the King James Bible, both Old and New Testaments.
The Bibles were produced by the Apollo Prayer League, a group started by NASA employees and spread globally with the idea of using man`s first trip to the moon to carry the words of God, the auction house said.
Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell carried 512 of the stamp-sized Bibles on the 1970 mission that was supposed to land on the moon but did not after an oxygen tank explosion in flight severely damaged the spacecraft.
Most of those bibles were cut into pieces and distributed to dignitaries over the years.
Twelve of those that remained passed from John Stout of the Prayer League to astronaut Mitchell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video