Lyrids meteor showers to be visible post midnight today
New Delhi: A celestial treat is in store for stargazers who can look forward to see fireworks in the form of meteor showers after midnight on Sunday.
The shooting stars will start at 12.30 am and peak between 3 am to 5 am. Commonly known as Lyrids meteor showers, they will be visible from the entire northern hemisphere in the constellation of Lyra.
"The best time to watch the shooting stars is between 3 am to 5 am tomorrow," SPACE Director CB Devgun said, adding the phenomena can be observed in the northeast to northern directions in the sky.
Observers can expect to see up to 20 "shooting stars" per hour -- an average of one every three minutes -- at the peak, he said.
However, only brightest of the meteors will be seen as an 85-percent bright Moon may obscure some of the shooting stars.
The meteors have their origin from the Comet C/1861 G1 Thatcher. The velocity of particles entering the Earth would be 49 km/sec, N Raghunandan Kumar, Secretary of Planetary Society of India said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks