Mars Curiosity rover back to work after break
Washington: NASA`s Curiosity rover is back in business after a weeks-long communication gap caused by solar interference.
The rover had been on its own since early April, when Mars slipped behind the Sun from Earth`s perspective.
Sun can disrupt communications between the two planets in this alignment, which is known as a Mars solar conjunction, so Curiosity`s handlers at Mission Control had temporarily stopped sending commands to the one-ton rover.
However, the heavens have shifted, bringing Mars and Earth back in touch and the Curiosity rover back within reach of its masters.
"Can you hear me now? Conjunction is over. I have a clear view of Earth & am back to work!" NASA officials wrote on behalf of the rover via the Curiosity Twitter feed.
Curiosity landed inside the red planet`s huge Gale Crater in August last year, kicking off a two-year surface mission to determine if Mars has ever been capable of supporting microbial life.
The rover has already checked off its main mission goal. Before conjunction, Curiosity collected samples from a hole it drilled 6.4 centimetres into a rocky outcrop called John Klein.
The rover`s analysis of these samples allowed mission scientists to determine that Mars was indeed habitable billions of years ago.
Curiosity`s post-conjunction plan involves drilling another hole nearby, to confirm and extend scientists` understanding of the John Klein area, mission officials have said.
When that work is done, Curiosity will likely begin the 10 kilometres trek to the base of Mount Sharp, the mysterious 5.4 km-high mountain that rises from Gale`s centre.
Mars solar conjunctions occur every 26 months, so veterans of NASA`s Mars missions are used to dealing with them, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!