Mars Mission can see India emerge major power in S&T
Coimbatore: India`s Mars Mission could see the country emerge as a `major power` in science and technology if it turned out to be a success, a former ISRO scientist said here on Saturday.
"After successful launch of Chandrayan 1, scientists are working on the Mars Mission satellite, which will study the surface. If successful, India can become a major power in science and technology," N Sivasubramanian, former ISRO scientist said at a function at a college here.
He was delivering a lecture at the `Regional Science Congress on Science for Shaping the Future in India` at Kongunadu Arts and Science college in the city.
On August 15, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had made the first formal announcement on the Mars Mission, saying India will send a mission to the Red Planet that would mark a huge step in the area of science and technology.
Sivasubramanian emphasised the need to synchronise the world education system, saying students, though brilliant in daily studies, are unaware of what is happening around them, an example of which was lack of knowledge over protests against Kudankulam Nuclear Power plant.
Mylsamy Annadurai, project director, Chandrayan I, who was present told reporters later that many students have shown interest in pursuing science after the success of Chandrayan.
He said China is now the top country in presenting scientific papers and India is in the second slot.
Annadurai declined to take questions on Chandrayan or any other project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog