Mars rover Curiosity gets software upgrade, wheel check
Zee Media Bureau
Mars rover Curiosity has got a software upgrade and is being checked for the wear and tear on the one-tonne robot`s wheels caused by the rugged Martian surface.
NASA reported that the wheels of Curiosity rover are sustaining damage at an increasing rate.
"Curiosity is now operating on version 11 of its flight software," said Jim Erickson of NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
This is the third upgrade version since Curiosity`s landing on Mars 16 months ago. Completing the switch from version 10 took about a week, NASA said.
An earlier switch to version 11 prompted an unintended reboot on November 7 and a return to version 10, but the latest transition went smoothly.
These upgrades allow continued advances in the rover`s capabilities. For example, version 11 brings expanded capability for using the Curiosity`s robotic arm while the vehicle is on slopes.
It also improves flexibility for storing information overnight to use in resuming autonomous driving on a second day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part III
- Anurag Thakur unanimously elected as BCCI President
- UP: Boy without hands from Mainpuri secured 71.8% marks in 10th Board Exams
- Did you know Avika Gor also took Cannes Film Festival by storm this year! - Pics inside
- Vijay Mallya's India woes now troubling his US beer firm
- Toyota says 90% of Camry demand for hybrid model now
- NEET issue: President Pranab Mukherjee to seek legal advice on ordinance
- Weak oil prices may hit remittances from Gulf nations: Crisil