Massive stars behind cosmic fog of early universe?
Washington: High energy light from massive stars could have been responsible for the opaque and dense fog between galaxies in the early universe, new observational evidence shows.
Astronomers believed that early star-forming galaxies could have provided enough of the right kind of radiation to evaporate the fog, or turn the neutral hydrogen intergalactic medium into the charged hydrogen plasma that remains today. But they couldn’t figure out how that radiation could escape a galaxy. Until now.
Jordan Zastrow, a Ph.D. astronomy student, and Sally Oey, a U-M astronomy professor, observed and imaged the relatively nearby NGC 5253, a dwarf starburst galaxy in the southern constellation Centaurus.
The researchers used special filters to see where and how the galaxy’s extreme ultraviolet radiation, or UV light, was interacting with nearby gas.
They found that the UV light is, indeed, evaporating gas in the interstellar medium. And it is doing so along a narrow cone emanating from the galaxy.
“We are not directly seeing the ultraviolet light. We are seeing its signature in the gas around the galaxy,” Zastrow said.
In starburst galaxies, a superwind from these massive stars can clear a passageway through the gas in the galaxy, allowing the radiation to escape, the researchers said.
The shape of the cone they observed could help explain why similar processes in other galaxies have been difficult to detect.
“This feature is relatively narrow. The opening that is letting the UV light out is small, which makes this light challenging to detect. We can think of it as a lighthouse. If the lamp is pointed toward you, you can see the light. If it’s pointed away from you, you can’t see it,” Zastrow said.
“We believe the orientation of the galaxy is important as to whether we can detect escaping UV radiation,” he added.
The findings could help astronomers understand how the earliest galaxies affected the universe around them.
The study was recently published in Astrophysical Journal Letters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'