Massive stars behind cosmic fog of early universe?
Washington: High energy light from massive stars could have been responsible for the opaque and dense fog between galaxies in the early universe, new observational evidence shows.
Astronomers believed that early star-forming galaxies could have provided enough of the right kind of radiation to evaporate the fog, or turn the neutral hydrogen intergalactic medium into the charged hydrogen plasma that remains today. But they couldn’t figure out how that radiation could escape a galaxy. Until now.
Jordan Zastrow, a Ph.D. astronomy student, and Sally Oey, a U-M astronomy professor, observed and imaged the relatively nearby NGC 5253, a dwarf starburst galaxy in the southern constellation Centaurus.
The researchers used special filters to see where and how the galaxy’s extreme ultraviolet radiation, or UV light, was interacting with nearby gas.
They found that the UV light is, indeed, evaporating gas in the interstellar medium. And it is doing so along a narrow cone emanating from the galaxy.
“We are not directly seeing the ultraviolet light. We are seeing its signature in the gas around the galaxy,” Zastrow said.
In starburst galaxies, a superwind from these massive stars can clear a passageway through the gas in the galaxy, allowing the radiation to escape, the researchers said.
The shape of the cone they observed could help explain why similar processes in other galaxies have been difficult to detect.
“This feature is relatively narrow. The opening that is letting the UV light out is small, which makes this light challenging to detect. We can think of it as a lighthouse. If the lamp is pointed toward you, you can see the light. If it’s pointed away from you, you can’t see it,” Zastrow said.
“We believe the orientation of the galaxy is important as to whether we can detect escaping UV radiation,” he added.
The findings could help astronomers understand how the earliest galaxies affected the universe around them.
The study was recently published in Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read